View Single Post
Old
10-17-2012, 07:03 AM
blackmarketmob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan View Post
You could be right , I would like to see an NCAA or CIS championship game against Major Junior but know it could never happen with the Memorial cup and all. Kind of reminds me of the 1972 summit series when we all thought the NHL would trample the Russians. Turned out we had a great hockey series. The NHL had a lot to lose and almost did. Maybe Major Junior is afraid to even consider such a game. With UNB at the top of the standings you should have an outstanding winter , wish you the best. Go Barrie Colts and Cornell Big Red!!!!!!!!
To be fair to your posts and the responses, the CIS you are familiar with is Ontario (OUA), which is the CIS I follow as well. The OUA has several top teams which are capable of competing nationally (last year's national championship was Western vs. McGill, both of whom play in the Ontario conference), but with so many teams, the discrepancy between the top teams and bottom ones can be huge.

Good teams like Western can have say, 7 defencemen who played their junior in the CHL, and a forward set with 8-9 guys who were in the 50-60 point range at one point in their junior CHL careers. However, some of the poorer teams may only be able to recruit a handful with major junior experience, filling out their roster with Junior A/B players as you mentioned. The OUA recently in my opinion has been improving, but there is still some of this mix.

For example, the team I follow (Laurier) last year would have had roughly half its roster with CHL experience and finished the year well at the bottom. They would not have beat Kitchener (OHL).

The two conferences (Atlantic and West) do not have as many teams, and thus top to bottom are quite strong.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote