Thread: Proposal: Bos - edm
View Single Post
Old
10-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Oates2Neely

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Its not like the contract is for 7 years though O2N. Its a two year contract. What happens if Horton isnt around all year? Is Peverley a top six forward on a Contender? No way.

I'd look at other deals first, and gauge Hortons health, but I can't say I'm too upset about the assets we'd be giving up in this deal.

Maybe I jumped the gun on my "do it in a heartbeat" claim, but I'm still very intrigued with it.
IMO Boston already has a guy whom they are concerned about healthwise (Horton). You go and add Hemsky to the roster at a $5m cap hit mind you, & you're taking a HUGE gamble. IF Hemsky is a Bruin & also gets injured (which he has done for 3 straight seasons now, the guy is the most glaring example of fragile), then Boston stands to have: Thomas ($5m), Horton ($4m), Hemsky ($5m), a grand total of $14m in paychecks not contributing on the ice.

Nobody is doubting Hemskys' talent, he is skilled, but he's a player whom makes too much money for what he's contributed the past 3 seasons. He has done nothing to calm the fears of Oiler fans/ management that he can infact remain healthy. IF he was paid $3m per for a year or so, then perhaps you take that risk, but with $10m over 2 years, I just dont see it as the type of move Chiarelli would make, & with good reason. Caron is a solid young player, digs in corner & wins lots of puck battles, uses his body very well to protect the puck, and he has a very strong & accurate wrist shot. I can see him at least matching Pouliots production last season (16 goals), if not surpassing it. I doubt Hemsky stays healthy long enough to even sniff 16 goals. The guy is talented, but a huge liability.

IMO it's similar to a team searching for a goaltender calling the Islanders about Dipietro, just not going to happen unless he proves he can stay healthy for 82 games.

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote