Thread: Prospect Info: Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.
View Single Post
Old
10-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Sundinisagod
King Joffrey 2.0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I never really understood why Murray was so highly touted. I mean hes a good overal player, but what about his game is that much different from Stuart Percy? Both are average skaters with very high hockey IQ. One is obviously a tad more physical, however both play a defensively sound game with the ability to produce. Both captained their teams at young ages, with one having much more success in junior then the other... and that player isnt Ryan Murray.

I've always thought that highly drafted players are those with some form of exceptional ability. Ryan Murray doesnt seem to have an exceptional quality in his game. I mean when i look at Ryan Murray's stats, it just seems like he conforms to his team. His team as hole ranges from -8 to +4. Hes sitting at -4. Their top 4 defensive production ranges from 3 points to 8 points and hes sitting at 5.

I look at Morgan Rielly's statistics and hes clearly a standout on his team. The team is as equally poor as Everette however whenever there is a range of statistics Morgan is at the top. Plus minus ranges from -5 to +4 and Morgan of course is a +4. The teams top 4 defensive production is 2,6,7 & 14 points. Of course Rielly has double the amount of points as the next guy. Some may not value the plus minus statistic, however when your EXCEPTIONAL ability is your overal defensive play and your not the best player at even strength, may raise a few questions. When the majority of your points are produced on the powerplay and your sitting with the best plus minus on the team, you must be doing something right. Obviously its early in the season, however Burke may have actually selected a top 2 pick.

Murray's skating is far better than "average". I think his poise and hockey sense are another level as well. I do wonder what his offensive upside really is, based on what I consider mediocre whl numbers. He's much like Suter, and every team is looking for that kind of player.