View Single Post
Old
10-17-2012, 04:51 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I'm just trying to add some balance against the one-sided hype train. Don't tell me there isn't substantial bias here. Even just after the draft he was ranked by HFBoards as superior to our 5th and 6th round picks. That's absurd.

I think it has something to do with the fact he's Swedish, but maybe I'm off.
I do think it has to do with that because the majority of our Swedish prospects have developed very well in Swedish leagues (SEL, SEL-2). Also, in regards to the HFBoards poll, there was no real guidelines set to voting. Some people claimed higher ceilings meant more than talent at that point, while some people simply chose the prospect that intrigued them the most. I was certainly one of those who voted for Wikstrand because we, at least the vast majority of us, haven't seen much from our recent late round picks. It's all about intrigue. How many of us have seen Boyle play?

Going off of that poll isn't viable evidence of being over-hyped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
So yeah, I'm not saying he isn't a "potential steal" or whatever. Sure, he could turn into Tobias Enstrom or something, it seems possible given his encouraging start.

However, we need to see more - a lot more.
Again, no one was saying he's a superstar. He's not a blue-chip prospect. He's not a sure thing to make the NHL. People are saying exactly the bolded, but are optimistic because of how well he is playing now. It isn't common to see a 7th round pick doing what he's doing right now in the SEL-2 and people are taking notice. That's not over-hyping.