View Single Post
Old
10-17-2012, 05:48 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
One of the closer ones you guys have done. First thing I noticed...How did neither team take Ken Morrow on D? Both really could've used him IMO.

Here's how I quickly looked at it...

Team #2 has a big edge on D. I agree that Team #1 has the better depth there, but it just doesn't matter. Chelios is a good amount better than Leetch and Howe is a ton better than Suter. D. Hatcher is better than Ramsey as well, but that's pretty close. From there the edge starts going to Team #1, but those depth guys are going to see a lot less ice time than the top pairing guys.

That being said, Team #1 has just as big of an edge in goal with Brimsek over Barrasso, so I called those a wash and went to the forwards.

Team #1 has the better top line, Team #2 has the better 2nd line. Team #1 also gets the edge on the 3rd line...I'm assuming Otto and Broten will be splitting time there.

Overall I give it to Team #1, but seeing some special teams might help...Team #1 seems pretty weak on PKing defensemen.

EDIT: Coaching edge also goes to Team #1, and he fits well with all those offensive defensemen.
Good point. We somehow both overlooked Morrow. I could have had room for him as a spare for sure. Not sure he’d usurp Rafalski/Griffis from my starting lineup. Schneider/Larson? Absolutely.

The second pairings are basically the same things, right? And obviously team 1 is much better on the 3rd pairing. And Leetch is only marginally better than Howe, so considering them more or less equal is about fair. So it’s about the difference between Chelios and Suter, versus the differences on the entire 3rd pairings. And with Griffis being by far the best of those 4, that should offset the Chelios advantage. Shouldn’t it? In any case, I can’t see how the edge is conceivably “big”.

As for 2nd lines, Amonte/Guerin are more or less the same thing, Amonte a little more scoring, Guerin more toughness. Weight is not far behind Roenick, but Parise as of now is FAR behind Tkachuk. How is that not a better 2nd line?

You’re right that there’s not much for PKing defensemen on team 1. Ramsey-Griffis is fine. Then you’d have to go with Leetch-Suter, I imagine. Not ideal, but not horrible. On the other hand, is team 2 all that much better? Chelios-Hatcher make a great 1st unit, but then what? Howe-Hatcher? Howe specialized at even strength and is only passable on the PK in a Suter/Leetch sense, and Kevin Hatcher is a guy who’s only there because he’d do better than Schneider or Larson.