View Single Post
Old
10-17-2012, 07:29 PM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
"waste of space" - nice to say about these young players

Anyways, how has Matia Marcantuoni been doing? Still all flash and dash? I have caught him in two games this season and he's underwhelmed me (as usual).

I agree with CharlieGirl. Hanes was brought in to provide experience and be a steady, stay at home d-men to play beside Murphy the way Cody Sol did last year. Spott may have even said when he was acquired that he was looking for a #2 OA period. He didn't want Hanes to be just good enough to make the roster - the younger players are around to fill those positions. To date, Hanes has been a bust as the type of OA d-man Spott was hoping he would be.

Czinder was brought in to provide toughness, physicality, and some scoring since 15 goals last year for some players could possibly expand to 25-30 in an OA season on a championship contender. Czinder hasn't provided any toughness, any physicality and no scoring despite seeing time on the PP and on lines with quality line mates.

Marcantuoni has been all flash, all dash, and nothing else. He's had games where he has been stuck playing with Czinder and Pederson but games where he's seen time with the top players on the team. Still no production. Sooner or later, the "top forward available in the draft" as Spott referred to him after we drafted him, needs to live up to those expectations. Playing with sub par linemmates shouldn't be that much of a disadvantage when you are the high end player as MM is supposed to be. Last year, Radek Faksa made Lorentz and Ming much better than they really were. When MM was put with Czinder and Pederson for those 2 or 3 games, he should have been doing the same instead of becoming invisible.

Yves Bastien came into this league and was all flash and dash but zero finish. Ranger fans screamed and bawled when he went the other way in the Steve Downie trade - a trade we won hands down. Turns out, that's all he ever amounted to in this league - a set of wheels whose only real value was on the PK. I fear this may be all we ever get out of MM. Perhaps Spott could do as DeBoer did with Bastien and send MM the other way in a package for an all-star/WJC calibre forward.