View Single Post
Old
10-17-2012, 06:57 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Again, I agree the Rangers used the rules to their advantage as they are currently constructed and didnt break any rules.

My point it is it makes sense to put forth a rule that would limit this competitive advantage for teams that are fortunate enough to use what I would consider a loophole at this point.
I see your point. I guess I would still disagree that it is a loophole. The Rangers NHL salary is still within the cap range. The amount of cap dollars they ice in each NHL contest is policed under the same rules as everyone else.

In my opinion, the fact that Redden is not an NHL level player at this point means that the Rangers should be able to assign him as they see fit. If Redden's AHL salary is a loophole, because it puts other teams at a competitive disadvantage, is the Rangers ability to spend millions more than other teams on scouting and development an unjust practice? What about their new state of the art practice facility, should those investments be capped and regulated based on what the worst-off teams can afford?

Personally, I think that's part of the benefit of being a high-earning franchise. At the end of the day, every team has the same spending limit for the on-ice NHL product.