View Single Post
Old
10-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
They don't really lose their job. They still get paid.

Perhaps someone else would have paid Gaborik the money (actually, they obviously would have), but there still would have been $6 or so total less being spent somewhere, by someone, on players' salaries.

I'm not questioning whether it sucks for Redden--and I think you're absolutely right in suggesting that this is a small market team concern. I've just yet to see evidence that the NHLPA 1) has a significant problem with it, and 2) is making any sort of issue out of it in the negotiations.

Do you see what I'm saying? I feel like that didn't come out clearly.
That's why I pointed out they lose their NHL job. They are getting paid, but obviously they'd prefer life in the NHL.

By allowing the Rangers to bury Redden they are spending $6M more than they should be spending. With teams like the Rangers and Flyers spending over the cap in salaries it would mean there is more money going into escrow.

I agree there is no evidence the NHLPA is making an issue of it, but I certainly don't believe they will be against this particular proposal either. I fully expect it to be a part of the new CBA.