View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 01:07 AM
KevFu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Personally, I never said that it isn't "plausible" that the League has Expansion in mind. But I do agree with Evil Doctor that the rumor that's going around and its source isn't enough to "pass the smell test" as any kind of real evidence that Expansion is at this moment being considered. A reporter speculating about Expansion as being in the wind, that's not evidence at all. Expansion has generally been a very upfront thing with the NHL, and if they're thinking about it then we should have more direct signs.
I think the situations in Quebec, Seattle, Markham and the Leafs sale make it plausible.

I don't "trust" the source, either. I just wouldn't be all that surprised if the NHL did use more jobs as a CBA bargaining chip and announce expansion after the deal was done. The only surprising aspect of it would be adding a Toronto team NOW and not when Bell/Rogers stop getting along.

For it to be close, they'd merely need to be doing their due diligence behind the scenes. While that might seem surprising for the NHL to be thinking ahead, working behind the scenes and planning things out proactively, instead of reactively, I consider the four conference realignment plan that leaked nearly a year ago and was adopted last December (before the NHLPA vetoed it on principle). We all expected 16 East/14 West to be revealed. And they went 16-14 West with DET/CBJ still in the Norris; TB/FLA brilliantly in the Adams. I was surprised at the forethought that went into it. And it has two EASTERN spots open.