View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 01:08 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
I believe if the NHL's offer is accepted, you cannot simply bury a bad contract in the AHL, it still counts against your cap, so players with high cap hits and length will be virtually unmovable, so the value of certain players will drop.
They could also go up if the selling team is prepared to eat salary/cap. Ideally it'd need a low payroll rich team that had both money and capspace to burn. The best way I can think of exploiting it is at the deadline - trade a player to a playoff at 1/2 cap hit so they squeeze into a tight budget. I can see playoff teams paying more for players like that.

IMHO the best way to think of it is not buying cap space but rather paying a cap penalty to trade a player. Let's take Redden. Rangers give up $3m in cap and $ to the Islanders to take Redden. Not a huge advantage to the Islanders, Redden at $3m is about right, but NYR takes a $3m cap/$ penalty to get rid of Redden. $3m penalty might be better the for NYR than $6m. If NYR throws in a good pick maybe Islanders take him at $2m penalty.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote