View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 05:28 AM
Badfish87

vCash: 500
Skating again and again is the best way to get used to it. I started out awful, and it took years of practice, but now I'm very much more in control. Stickhandling and shooting just come with practice, as well. Some things that can get you by while you suck at the skating and stickhandling, however, is good vision and passing ability, and tenacity when it comes to grinding and overall toughness.

As far as workouts, I do an intense full body workout derived from starting strength. The most basic full body, strength improving exercises, are squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, bench press, and pull ups. Instead of worrying about bodybuilding, and doing 3 sets of 10 at one weight, I'd steadily increase weight doing 5 reps a peice, and seeing how much I can do and how much I improve each time doing it. And once in a while throw in some one rep maxes.

After those cores exercises, and my body built up the ability to handle more, now I'll mix it up and throw in a lot more. Like instead of squats and deadlifts, I'll replace them with leg press machines that can handle 1000+ lbs, and lunges. Then I will also throw in hamstring curls, glute press, ab and adductors, sometimes leg press. And I still do all the upper body stuff as usual, but throw in bicep curls, flies, dips, skull crushers, shrugs, etc.

But the two specialty workouts I do more often than normal, simply because I play hockey, is forearm curls both ways with a barbell (for the wrist shots and backhands), and oblique twists.

Badfish87 is offline   Reply With Quote