View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 06:32 AM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
I'm not going to comment on what I think the specific trade will be... simply because there's still too many variables to be determined in this CBA proposal.

What I will comment on however, is the pieces which would need to be included.

From a Toronto standpoint, any deal for Luongo has to accomodate him for 2013-2014 under a cap of around $60m. Right now, the Leafs are at $63m with MacArthur, Connolly, Lombardi, Bozak, Steckel, Gunnarsson, Kadri & Lupul coming off the books. Lombardi almost certainly won't be back, so that puts the Leafs at basically zero cap space...

But here's the way I see this breaking down...
Bozak + $1.5m.
Lupul + $500k.
Gunnarsson + $2.75m
Kadri = Even
MacArthur - $3.25m
Connolly - $4.75m
Steckel - $200k

That's $3.45m opened up, without replacing Tim Connolly (likely necessary unless Bozak has a breakout year meaning he'll be up more than $1.5m), and without adding the missing defenceman that the Leafs currently need. That's not the $5.3m needed for Luongo... so the only way this works is if Vancouver takes a contract that runs beyond this year (and wouldn't cost as much to replace said player), or is a no-brainer enough of a deal that the Leafs can worry about shedding that contract later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Quick questions on the new provision in the proposed CBA:

1. Is it that you can trade "cap hit" amount in the deal of up to $3M?
2. Is it that you can trade "salary" in the deal up to $3M (meaning trading team sends acquiring team money)?
3. Or is it that of both "cap hit" AND "salary" in a deal?

I'm not asking about after Lu retires in 5 yrs because that was clear that the original cap hit would stay with the Canucks. I think the answer to the above could determine who can actually be involved in a deal. Cap hit aside, Luongo has a pretty hefty salary so teams on the lower end of the payroll scale wouldnt have been able to afford him. But if the answer to 2 or 3 above is yes, then that would increase the number of teams able to acquire him I believe.
#3, IIRC.

To me, the question is, would the Canucks be willing to take on a couple million of his salary to get an even better deal for him, and at least smooth out the effect of his full cap hit coming back when he retires.