View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 08:32 AM
blue425

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireStateofMind View Post
I watched "The World According to Monsanto" about a week ago and I can't look at food the same way again. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's interested in learning about GMO's. Or anyone who cares about what they eat, like you said.
I won't sit here and preach that GMO is bad for you. The truth is that I don't know because there has been no long term study to this point. However I feel there is enough evidence for me to not want to eat them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
I hate the whole organic thing, I like the aspect of eating healthy, but just because they put the word 'organic' in front, doesn't mean you can charge 1/3 more
This type of response is part of the reason Americans are where they are health wise.

We want the biggest houses, the newest electronics, the best cars. And people are willing to pay top dollar for all of it. However when it comes to the food we eat people are willing to use the cheapest available options.

$1.99 eggs from chickens raised on crowded feed lots (and pumped full of drugs) are not the same quality as the $4-$5 eggs chickens raised on a pasture produce. If you believe that the $1.99 eggs are better tasting and better for you you must also think that a $10,000 car can match the performance of an $80,000 one.

You get what you pay for. Americans are willing to pay for quality everywhere except when it comes to what they eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I'm a culinarian of sorts and organic is only as good as the regulation the FDA sets and regulations on organic and free range products are still very very loose and unspecified and even when they are specified, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to pass something off as organic. It's not categorical as logic would have it i.e., non-organic/organic. It's more along the lines of "Oh, this isn't entirely non-organic, so we'll go ahead and call this organic"
I've learned a bunch about these words recently:

Organic like you said is a sketchy one. Tread lightly.

Grass fed (when it comes to eggs) is another one. A company can literally raise chickens indoors, give them access to a 10x10 section of grass for 30 minutes a day, and can call them grass fed or organic.

Pastured. Now that is a money word. Pastured means that the animal was raised outdoors and was fed the things it is naturally meant to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I doubt you have the time and mind for this but if you do, try and find local farms if there are any in your area. Local farms have products that are grown and raised without some of the morbid stuff that store bought products have. It actually costs around the same for way better quality and freshness.
Probably not a big surprise, but we do 95% of our shopping at farmers markets. I like the fact that I can look the person who made my food in the eye.