Thread: Value of: Voracek/Simmonds
View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Only because of the amount of moping he did here depressing his value.

Also, I love love love how the prevailing wisdom has become that Voracek has somehow improved by leaps and bounds since leaving Columbus.

News flash: he's exactly the same. He always was a persistent player in all zones, a great passer, and yet possessed of a remarkable capacity for screwing up shots on goal. We traded him because he never got any further than that after two years and had an opportunity to (we thought) get an upgrade, and now after three he STILL isn't ahead of that status.

Jake is what he is. What he is is valuable and awesome. But whatever "upside" folks invent for him (which turns him into this legend that Columbus should absolutely never have "discarded") is rapidly becoming ephemeral. It's been three consistent years now. The trade didn't change a damn thing beyond getting him more attention; making people notice what was already there.

If one wants absolute, unshakable confirmation that folks truly do not pay the slightest attention to any Columbus Blue Jackets player in even the least amount of fashion, but are perfectly happy to make sweeping judgment calls based on their overwhelming ignorance, one need only look to the evaluations of Jake Voracek before and after the trade.
I don't think the Flyers truely knew how to use Voracek and there was a feeling out process with him and the coaching staff here. It wasn't until late in the season (around the last 20 or so games and the playoffs) that they found him his niche, and he seemed to take off from there. He pretty much transformed throughout the season in Philly and by the end was an extremely confident player and a wizard on the point on the PP.

Will that translate into more points, I don't know. But he grew by leaps and bounds from his first game to his last. Not everything is quantifiable, sometimes you just see it.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote