View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...e-views/11765/

Adrian Dater transcription from TSN 690 [Montreal] interview with Pierre McGuire:

Quote:
Melnick brought up a story that was breaking on the Hockey News’ website, saying Quebec and suburban Toronto would be awarded expansion teams when the lockout is over.
McGuire said, “I’ve told you this a long time, my friend, and I’m not backing off: this league is expanding. It’s gonna expand and Quebec’s gonna be a landing spot, and I would say Seattle’s got the potential to be a landing spot and I truly believe north of the 401 in Markham Ontario could be a landing spot, and it would not surprise me at all to see expansion. In order for people to see how owners are going to grow revenues for themselves, part of it’s going to be through expansion, and it’s going to cost between $280-$300 million to get an expansion team, I truly believe that.”
But if owners know they have $600 million coming in from expansion – none of which goes to players – then that makes them less likely to go to war over 2 or 3 percent. Can the players get a couple more percent out of Bettman, especially in Year 1 of a deal? Maybe.