View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
This comparison is kinda becoming a joke. You can tout Ovechkin's career playoff numbers all you want, but he is the best player on what has become a notorious playoff underachiever. He has had maybe a handful of series where he has played for the stretch of games nearly as well as he plays during the regular season. The reality is that Washington has not had a significant playoff run, and Ovechkin has never been head and shoulders above the team during their playoff performances.

I'm not sure I can contribute to this discussion since I have not seen Lindros play, but he had a run to the stanley cup finals. As I said in my post, Ovechkin's playoff career has been a disapointment for how good he is, no matter what the statistics look like. I was rooting for him during those years (08-10) because he was such a great player. But it became clear that, other than in a couple of series, he was not going to be a great playoff performer.
I admit that Bossy probably isn't the best comparison for Ovechkin, due to the gap in playoff results. Perhaps a better comparison might be Stastny: Ovechkin has the better peak, not much shorter prime, and not dissimilar playoff performance/results. Ovy's the much better goal scorer, and his adjusted plus-minus is superior as well.

The last HoH top 100 had Stastny at #73, so even if he's slipped some since then, Stastny should still be top 100, which would seem to make it all but impossible for Ovechkin not to be a near-consensus top 100 player at this point (or very soon).

I think Lindros is in that borderline area, where some would have him top 100 and many would not. It's apparent what a polarizing player he was, as I would guess quite a few would have him well inside the top 100, while others (including the HHOF apparently) would not have him even close to the top 100.

The difference, in large part due to Ovechkin's durability and Lindros' frequent injuries, is that Ovechkin was the (or one of the top 2-3) best forward in the game for 3-4 years, including 3 consecutive years, while Lindros may have been the best forward only during (and perhaps because of) a shortened season and was one of the top 3-5 forwards for a few years, and a top 3 forward when healthy for 5+ seasons, but his injuries prevented him from ever really being the best for even a full 82 game season.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote