Thread: GDT: The lockout thread
View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Fishhead

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCA View Post
I do agree with some of your points, specifically having to do with the Canadian Dollar. However, I think it is safe to say that what we are now experiencing is the new normal in that respect. I do not think we will be seeing the canadian dollar being worth 65-70 cents American anytime soon, if ever.

I do not agree though that because of this "economic downturn," as you phrase it, the players should be forced to to significantly reduce their share of the pie in order to subsidize struggling markets. The League had RECORD revenue last year. Economic downturn or not, cannot argue with the facts. People still spend money on sporting events no matter the economic climate, period.

I honestly believe that in the end the way fans view this lockout is the same way they view the current political climate. There are those who believe the Billionaires are taking all the risk, and should therefore get a larger share of the profits. The other side believes it is a players league, and there the ones risking their bodies on a nightly basis, putting all the work in, and in the end like it or not, responsible for generating all the revenue. Professional sports is not like other employee/employer relationships. The owners cannot just go find someone else to do the job. It is unique, it is different. When an individual decides to spend a couple hundred million dollars on a sports franchise, I believe they are doing it with their eyes open. Do they want to turn a profit? Absolutely. But really, the main motivation is being granted access to the exclusive club of professional sports ownership. There are risks involved with such purchases, and there are rewards to such endeavours, but how can anyone believe it is the players responsibility to subsidize those risks when the collective membership decides to drive up player salaries by handing out higher and higher contracts on the OPEN market.
If anything the CDN is becoming even more volatile than it already was. It was stable in the 50s and 60s, but has been a complete mess since the mid 70s. It dropped 40 cents from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. Then in 5 years it gained 20 cents. Then in 7 years it lost 30 cents. In the last 5, its gained 50 cents. It's predictable cycle shows it is going to drop down in another 5-7 years. All I know is that when it gets back in the 70s I'm going to buy a truckload of them.

The players are not forced to do anything, they can choose not to take a reduction in salary. Just find a different career, people do it all the time. I did it, my wife did it, many of my friends did it. They didn't like what they were getting paid and moved on to something they feel is better. Most of them did it because companies they worked at were being downsized because of lower profits, of all things. Just because they are in a unique situation doesn't mean players aren't subject to economic ebb and flow.

What's ironic is that people are spending more money than ever to go to events, and that same money is worth less to the owners than ever. Their costs have skyrocketed, just like everything else. While it is a status thing, eventually an owner will get to the point where they just want to take their ball and go home. It's the reason why so many teams are up for sale right now, and there are so few buyers.