View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Firstly, there's no evidence that either Green or Phaneuf were heavily considered for the 2010 team. Bob MacKenzie from TSN reported on the morning of the roster announcement that Bouwmeester had made the team, but that turned out to be Doughty obviously. I'd line 'em up like this:

Keith - Doughty
Staal - Weber
Letang - Pietrangelo
Seabrook

Then, on my depth chart I'd have Girardi, Myers, Subban, Del Zotto, and Hamhuis before Phaneuf. Maybe Boyle too. Then probably a few more guys until I got to Green. Basically Keith, Doughty, Letang, and Pietrangelo give you enough speed, puck-handling skill and mobility to make a guy like Green redundant. If, due to injury we need to replace, say, Letang, I'd tap Subban or MDZ first.

In terms of size and strength, we have plenty of that too (insofar as we really need it on the international ice). There's no one quite like Pronger, but if you think back to 2006 he was pretty brutal on the international ice, as was Regehr, the other "big body" on defence. So the size and strength aspect may be a bit of red herring for 2014 and my preference is that we have 7 well-rounded defencemen who won't expose us on either end of the ice.
I'm with ya 100%