View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't pretend points are the best, and certainly not the only way to evaluate defensemen, but they are the best and only way that I consider objective. The biased opinions of a bunch of sportswriters are not what I would term objective, statistical evidence. The "true" number of non-Canadian top tier D-men is very likely between the floor (% non-Canadian d-men in NHL... ~25%?) and the ceiling (% non-Canadian d-men in top X in points amongst d-men... 40-60%?). Unfortunately, this is a very large range. However, using Norris/AS voting doesn't really solve anything IMO.

If the question is "how much did non-Canadian talent affect Norris/AS voting over the past 15-25 years?" then Norris/AS voting would be useful. However, to measure the impact of non-Canadian d-men on the "top tier" (say top 20-60 d-men in the NHL), then such voting is not objective and does not have the depth of information necessary to estimate such impact.
Brutal line of reasoning. There's plenty of defensive-minded defensemen who are "top-tier" without finishing in the top 10 or 20 in scoring.

We know how perilous judging defenders we see by points is so it's pretty mind-boggling you'd attempt to it justify this way.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote