Thread: Confirmed with Link: Andrei Markov signs for Vityaz Chekhov (KHL)
View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 06:31 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not that long ago, Subban was in coaches' doghouse. Not sure Markov was on anybody's doghouse in the past 10 years. Whether we appreciate it or not, whether we thought it was deserved or not, Subban is clearly not playing his best hockey as it's suppose to be since he's still fairly young, especially for a d-man. He has his ups and downs while Markov, healthy, doesn't have those kinds of mood swings. A healthy Markov, is our best d-man. EVEN if he never goes back to the dominant player he was. At least, that's my opinion.

Besides, not sure how you can really compare both players in a time span when 1 guy was almost totally out of the lineup. Subban was just better by being in the lineup while the other one wasn't. And you can't even use Markov stats since coming back from those tough years, it was obvious that he wouldn't rack it. But right now, with the rest, there is no dbout that people expect him to be on the first PP, playing his regular shift, playing in the first PK and be used in the last minute of a close game. That to me is enough to name him my #1. Mind you, Subban is not far behind as he is also used in most of those situations. But somehow Subban is still in proving mode as far as his hockey capabilities while Markov is in proving mode healthwise. But the day they are convince that Markov is healthy, nobody will have any doubt.
I don't think anyone seriously expects Markov to be starting on the first pairing, and especially not the first PK unit. If Therrien breaks up Gorges-Subban it just proves how stupid he really is, considering they we're the #1 unit for half the season on the team that finished 2nd in the league in penalty killing. Subban having some of the best PK'ing stats in the league.

If Markov comes back to being the #1 defenseman, great. It's only good for the team. I am not naive enough to expect it from a 33 yr old coming off two major knee surgeries who's played 65 games out of a possible 246, and whom in his returns has looked average at best. I understand rust is more than likely a factor in his average play in those games, I get that. It remains to be seen just how much further he can elevate his game from that level though.

Markov *used* to be my favorite player, it's not like I have a grudge against the guy.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote