Thread: I'm dying
View Single Post
Old
10-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
The owners coming down from what they wanted, but the players aren't budging because they probably still hold a grudge about how things went last time. Leave the politics to the presidential election, make a deal, and play hockey.

I have a feeling this season is lost or at best will start in January. If the season is lost, they will lose a lot of fans, and I definitely won't give any money to them for a long time, bye bye season tickets.
You are right, and if the League isn't willing to guarantee the players current contracts, then I don't think they understand the ill-will another lost season will cause. I don't live in North America, so they don't get much money from me anyway, but I'll be going to a lot more KHL matches this season if the NHL doesn't come back, and it might result in that continuing.

The tough thing is that the Blues might be one of the toughest hit. Yes, the team is improving, but locking out and raising ticket prices? That will be a tough sell in the short term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post
I see your point...but I think the rule is intended to avoid the super rich owners from giving out 13 year deals for 100 million or so and the last three to five years total, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1 million to bring down the cap hit. That's cheating the system in my opinion.
It is totally cheating the system, but if the 5% variance and retirees caphits continuing to count rules were implemented then that solves it. Let's say you give a 13 year, $97.5m contract the lowest you could pay in any single year would be $5.5m and the average would be $7.5m over the 13 years. Also, the rule about retiring would mean that the $7.5m caphit would still apply if the player retired for the final 3 or 4 years of the deal.

So if a team and player want to commit long term so the team gets a discount and the player gets the security then I don't see the issue. They aren't going to be able to avoid the caphit at the end of the career, and there will still be significant money to pay on the contract, so it will be tough to move if the player is dead weight.

Maybe the long term deal rule is to try and add some excitement to FA?

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote