View Single Post
Old
10-19-2012, 02:09 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
... I believe it was discussed on the Business of Hockey Board but as it transcends business, certainly with historical over-tones & interest, maybe this is the spot to discuss it?

My understanding of the situation is that in 04/05 a group of amateur players & fans in Ontario got together called the "Wednesday Nighters", launching suit against the NHL demanding the Stanley Cup be made available should the league be shutdown for an entire season.

They challenged the leagues right of propriety of the Cup, the Trustee's assumption of ownership in some questionable/illegal changes theyd made to the charter I believe in the late 40's. Long story short, they did actually win their case in Ontario Supreme Court, the NHL agreeing to permit the Stanley Cup to be awarded through a "Challenge" format, though just who would play for it was left wide open.

The possibility of the top Womens Teams was brought forward by then Governor General of Canada Adrienne Clarkson, however that was met with protest and as a result, she created the Clarkson Cup, to be awarded to the top female club in Canada annually. I cant imagine the AHL with the long & rich history of the Calder, the Senior Amateur AAA teams across Canada, also with their own trophy that goes back 100yrs or more would want to replace it with the Stanley Cup.

Bit of a hollow victory for the Wednesday Nighters really, but I guess the "win" was in embarrassing the league, opening up the option that if they messed up again, something might develop that would see the NHL's centre piece, its "chalice" as it were being awarded to outside interests. The decision & agreement rendered after the 04/05 Lockout had ended.

Last edited by Killion: 10-19-2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Typos...
Killion is offline   Reply With Quote