View Single Post
Old
10-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
One thing I'd like is for the Yankees to improve is their fielding in the outfield. Granderson is not really capable of playing center and if Gardner is healthy there's really no excuse for watching balls fly over Granderson's head.

With that said, I'd propose moving Gardner to center permanently. I would really like Michael Bourn (arguably best fielder in the game), but I'm not into giving 30+ yr old speed guys the 5-6 year deals they'll ask for. Instead, sign Angel Pagan for 2 years. He's reasonable with the bat and a good fielder who can also steal a bag. Put him in left.

Martin should be brought back. While his average sucked, he hit for very good power (for a catcher) and was decent defensively. When you look at the other options on the market for catcher, you'll probably agree.

As much as you all hate Arod, I'm curious who you would get to replace him. Like it or not, Arod is an above average hitting third baseman who would have clubbed 22-25HR with a decent OBP over a full season. Kevin Kouzmanoff and Scott Rolen are the best options in the free agent market. No thanks.

At the DH, the platoon the is the way to go. If the Rays do not exercise Luke Scott's option, he should be a primary target. He would murder in Yankee Stadium. Then sign Reed Johnson to take at bats against lefties and to occasionally get starts in the OF.

I'd then sign Cesar Izturis to back up Jeter. We need a utility middle infielder who can actually field, unlike Nix and Nunez.

c - martin
1b - teixeira
2b - cano
ss - jeter
3b - rodriguez
lf - pagan
cf - gardner
rf - granderson
dh - scott/johnson

The Yankees pitching was pretty solid overall last year. Have one of the better bullpens in the game, which will only improve with the return of Rivera. As far as starters go, Sabathia and Hughes (Hughes has proven that, when healthy, he's a good back of the rotation guy) are locks. Re-sign Kuroda, then go after someone like Brandon McCarthy. Have Nova, Phelps, and Pineida battle it out for the last spot.

As much as some people want to "blow it up", the Yankees are a good team. They have good pitching, and good hitting. I wouldn't expect their entire offense to just collapse again. With that said, they can improve their outfield a bit by getting better defensively and adding a player who can swipe some bags and make contact.