View Single Post
Old
10-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Excuse me for not feeling a bit pissed at the NHLPA. They are grown-ups making millions to play a kids game that they love for a living and they are crying poor.

They made a choice to go play in the NHL, you are right there is a lot of travel and they have to be away from their families a lot, but guess what they made that decision. No one is holding a gun to their heads and telling them they have to play. If its so bad quit a get a different job. There are lots of everyday Joe's that have to travel a lot for a living. For example my sister is auditor for a major company. She has a husband and a kid, and she is on the road 2 weeks every month. And she sure as hell doesn't make over a million a year and works considerably harder than any NHLer, but she does it so her family can have a decent life, and she knows that if she doesn't want to do that anymore or she thinks she is being used by her employer she needs to quit and find something else.

I work my butt off every single day I work at minimum 50 hr weeks which is way more than any NHLer works, I don't make a ton of money, but I don't complain. I sure as hell, do what my bosses tell me to do. If I want a raise I go talk to my boss and he has the right to say yes or no. If he says no, I don't get to go on strike. My choices are deal with it or quit.

So sorry if I don't sympathize with the players. All them have better lives than 99.9% of us, but yet they still complain. I don't know how any of us could side with the players at this point. Think about this way even if they had to take a 15% pay cut (this would never happen) players like Matt Duchene would still make 5.95 Million on his contract instead of 7 Million. I don't know about you but I could retire at age 26 and never work again on almost 6 Million. Plus you think back to his last contract and at age 21 he has probably banked over 12M by the age of 21. Yeah I feel real sympathy. even like Cody McCleod have probably banked 5M over his career.

At this point the players are coming off as arrogant punks who are being fed poor information from a chump leader. The even sadder part is the NHLPA is being fed even worse information from probably 50 or so players (the highest paid players like Crosby and Toews). The lockout isn't going to affect them like it is a player like Cody McCleod. I guarantee you players like him are fuming mad, because they just want to play and get paid their checks because they "need" the money more. If players like McCleod were at these meetings a a deal would have been struck by now.
The thing I never understand, is why people always try to compare themselves, and their work to being an NHL hockey player. They are most likely completely different situations.

NHL hockey players are the most talented, extreme cream of the crop, best in their profession which when they do what they do, the public is willing to hand over millions to team owners just to watch them.

This isn't comparable to the regular average joe 9-5 job. Unless you are both the best in the world at your profession, AND your profession is something the public is willing to pay millions just to observe.

And this doesn't even take into account the fact that their profession requires them to be away from their family, most likely not have a solid education for the future, and forces them to risk serious bodily, and mental harm every game. Especially with the concussion rate, and the psychological affect we've seen in what enforcers have to go through just to do their job.

These are things that are not involved in your 9 to 5 office job, where if your boss asked you to take a paycut, and you said you were willing, but didn't want to take a HUGE paycut since he just made you take one a few years ago, you would be replaced in a second if you tried to fight it.

All of this is in the name of the owners trying to rig a system where they are guaranteed to make money. They complain about all the risk they have to take in investments to run an NHL team, that the players don't share. I'm sorry, but isn't that part of running a business? You don't see the players complaining all the time about the physical and mental risk of playing hockey to make you money. It's a completely different level of shameless greed that the owners want to hold every one hostage, so they can run their business however they like, and no one runs the risk of losing money.

The PA believe's they want a fair cut, and however you feel about what they've done in negotiations, I have a hard time seeing why anyone would think they would be more greedy than the billionaire owners. Especially when the players conceded so much the last time, and every year since then Bettman has bragged about record revenues, and now they are insisting they need more. They are the ones asking for MORE. The players are the ones willing to GIVE, but don't want to give too much.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 10-19-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote