View Single Post
Old
10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Value-wise, it's closer than Pens posters will admit but it still favors Despres. Petry just doesn't have the luxury of playing behind and with as many solid veterans like Despres has, which is why his game is far less consistent.

Despres is bigger, faster and better in his own end but his offensive contributions typically get overvalued.

Again, I wouldn't swap him for Petry...but calling him untouchable is pretty ridiculous considering the depth the Pens have in their system on the blue line.
Very few players are truly untouchable, but it would take something pretty significant to make me want to part with Despres. With his size, skillset, and great play in limited action (you could argue he was our best defenseman outside of Letang during his call-ups), he's not only NHL-ready now, but has legit potential to become a good complementary top-pairing defenseman.

Outside of including him in a package for a Bobby Ryan-type winger (productive, young, manageable contract), I wouldn't let him go.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote