View Single Post
Old
10-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
NHL players have hockey skills, and they use them to make a living just like the owners used their "business skills" except business skills last a lifetime while hockey players have to cram their career earnings into a small window. Got to get yours while you can.
Both parties are self-interested, which is fine. However, getting yours while you can, isn't a strong argument if it were used to try to recuse the players from the blame both the owners and the players are getting, leaving only the owners.

Here's why: Hockey players have a "smaller" window than owners to earn money physically playing hockey, but a professional hockey player with any sense is set for life. Investing even a fraction of what they earn sets them up for life. If you don't believe me, look up how much a person retires with who only puts 2000 dollars into a good 401k from age 20 to age 30. They also continue to have marketable skills post professional hockey if they set themselves up in the right way, but the onus is solely on them for that.

They want to get their money, which is fine, but both the owners and the players are doing fine. I don't really care about their shortened window to earn staggering amounts of money. I don't see it as a good pro-player argument.

If they're morons with money, then not much can be done either way.