View Single Post
Old
10-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinter Klaas View Post
I guess Hasek could have jumped in and stole the starting job from Belfour in his first professional season in North America but I am not going to fault him because he didn't, especially when he put up the numbers he did.
Hasek was just plain wired differently. Took him quite some time to get acclimatised and actually used to North America & the NHL game. With equipment improvements, successes under his belt, his hubris grew in leaps & bounds, becoming even more daring & unorthodox as the seasons flew bye. He perhaps more than any other goaltender realized at some point in time early, had an epiphany I suppose, that goaltending is about 90% mental. He kicked it up a few more percentiles.

Extremely intelligent individual who had no fear in relying on instinct, his 6th sense in stopping the puck. Real throwback hybrid. Part Flopper. Part Acrobat. Part Standup. Part Butterfly. Risk taker who's mind could compute the odds in a nano second, contortion if necessary in order to stop or smother the puck done in less time than it takes to even think about it. So no, they didnt know what they had on their hands, didnt really care. Belfour & others far from slouches. This guy was an outlier, an Alien, prove yourself. Traditionalists had really little time for him, I know I certainly didnt care for his style even in full flight, at his peak, and for that I make no apology. But I certainly respect & admire him. Took a lot of guts to play the way he did.

Last edited by Killion: 10-19-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote