View Single Post
Old
10-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
No player is being screwed over, cut the rhetoric and maybe the discussion can actually advance some more. Regardless of what CBA is signed, and they will only sign one if the players agree to it, the players will still be making an average salary of well over a million, probably still over $2 million.
The discussion isn't going to advance when we share two polar opposite ethical viewpoints.

Just because players are making millions, doesn't mean it is right for the owners not to honor the contracts they signed.

You continue to use the fact they make millions as an excuse to justify what the owners are doing.

Basically your arguement is "they make millions, so it's ok".

Right.

Quote:
As far as 'misfinancing' goes, as a Penguins fan, I would think you should be all too aware of the conundrum middle and smaller markets find themselves in. Either take a chance and go after the big names hoping that icing a good team will bring about more fans and revenue or act as a farm team to bigger clubs and lose revenue and fans. Neither is attractive, the salary cap was brought out to try to fix this issue but GMs found a way around it for the most part (forcing not only rich but also poor teams to participate in such behavior if they wanted to improve their team.
It is well known that you are going to pay over-inflated salaries on the FA market. I can think of only a handful of big name UFA signings that brought a team a SC.

That is why teams need to build through the draft (no cap on scouting) and make the necessary trades and fiscal UFA signings to round out their teams.

Developing a talented farm and steady stream of young NHL ready talent is the key to winning in a cap world, not spending big bucks on over inflated contracts.

Lets see how happy Wild fans are with those contracts in a few yrs.

Quote:
And I really don't care what Leipold said. My take on this isn't based on the actions of 1 or 2 owners or even 30. I simply care what will be better for the league, and the current 57/43 split is not it and 50/50 is the most obvious endpoint. There will probably have to be some compromise on how to get to that end point. But the split system as proposed by the NHLPA is not going to work, as that doesn't bring it towards a 50/50 split until nearly the very end of the agreement (if at all). Players knew what was coming when they were out there negotiating these deals, yet they didn't even start talking to the league about a new CBA until August.
Of course a 50/50 split is reasonable, but for the tenth time, it doesn't have to start there in year one.

Hence the reason the players are telling the league to fist themselves.

Quote:
And you keep on saying the players will go to 50/50 if the owners no our existing contracts, but fail to realize that it's not actually 50/50 in any of the NHLPA proposals apart from possibly the last 1 or 2 years, with the first 2 pro sale delinking revenues and guaranteeing themselves nice raises.
I'm not taking their proposals seriously right now. I've said that over and over. Fehr is playing mind games with Bettman right now.

I find it funny as hell, but obviously I won't if Fehr keeps playing games beyond next week. I fully admit there is a chance he could push this for months until he gets the best deal. That's why the NHL would be wise to go for the fair offer of 54 52, etc.

Fehr may be a liar or the devil or whatever ppl choose to call him, but so is Bettman and Uncle Gary brought this on himself and the fans.