View Single Post
Old
10-20-2012, 12:24 AM
hockeyfanvan25

vCash: 500
Good for him, I'm happy for him that he'll be able to at least have a hockey-related job during the lockout! I was a bit surprised that he didn't take the Marlies coaching job for that reason, to be able to stay in hockey during the lockout, but I'm sure he figured that he'd have to retire if he took that job and wouldn't get another shot at playing. Sounds like this one is a lot more flexible, in terms of giving him the option of leaving the team and signing a new NHL contract if and when that becomes a possibility. Hopefully he'll be able to get a job in coaching soon when he does decide to hang 'em up; he definitely has experience, with his own summer goalie school, and I think he's a great teacher, not just on the ice! I've learned a lot from him over the years, very little of which is hockey-related. I think it's great too that he's doing it for free, just for the love of the game and to give back to his school that had a big impact on him for his career.

I was really happy to hear from him that he did have at least a couple offers in the summer, is still working and training as hard as ever and most definitely still has the fire in the belly to play. He has always come back strong whenever he struggled for stretches and seemed "done", so I don't doubt he can do that again this year if he's given the chance. I so hope that he will have another opportunity to play when the lockout finally ends, but until then I'll always respect and admire him so much for the way he's persevered through so much with an amazing attitude, strong work ethic, and never gave up on himself. He was given the puck after his last game last year, I guess his teammates wanted to honour him in that way in case it truly was his last game, but he's always made it clear that he isn't done till he says he's done, and I won't give up hope for him getting a new contract until he does make an official retirement announcement. I would be surprised if that happens anytime in the near future though.

Last edited by hockeyfanvan25: 10-20-2012 at 12:34 AM.
hockeyfanvan25 is offline   Reply With Quote