View Single Post
10-20-2012, 03:42 AM
Fanned On It
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Yeah you'd want to dress the grinder when you first install it but you definitely don't have to do that nearly as often as the wheel.

However the above poster mentioned avoiding cross grinding... that is completely wrong imo. You could avoid it however flattening the blade and creating a fresh hollow is definitely the way to go when sharpening skates rather than sharpening over an already existing hollow.

Oh and as for dressing it yeah going back and forth is fine. It's essentially just a tool to flatten the blade so it's not as precise as a wheel.. you'll notice using it when it needs to be dressed and just going back and forth a few times with the tool should do it.
Oh yeah no I know all about how often I should USE the cross-grinder, I just have never installed a new wheel so I didn't know if I had to dress it or not. But I went ahead and did it anyway and it seems to be working fine.

I usually cross-grind skates in three different situations: a. they're super rusty b. they're brand new c. they're really nicked up d. I just feel like starting out with a fresh hollow. Okay, four situations lol.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote