View Single Post
Old
10-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I hope we get Luongo. He'd all but guarantee a post season birth the next few years. Who cares if he's 33, he can play and would be a very welcome addition here, even if he costs more than we hoped. A top goalie like Luongo is exactly what this team needs. We got Ed Belfour when he was 38 and he was spectacular for this team until he was 40ish. Why couldn't Luongo do the same?

I know he has a terrible contract, but the reason many people here don't want him is because of his age. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no team is going to trade a 25ish all-star goalie or let one walk to free agency. This is what Burke can expect if he wants a real #1 guy that will take us to the playoffs and if it costs a first, who cares? Giving up a draft pick and/or a prospect or two is worth it for a few years of playoff hockey in this city. I hope and think that we'll acquire him for a salary dump + pick/prospect, but even if Burke overpays for him it will be worth it.
We would be obtaining a core piece to add to Phanuef and Kessel. When you have a chance of doing this you don't hesitate.

I don't think we will will have to part with a 1st rd pick. Infact I will even go as we won't. Some of these trade proposals on both sides are silly, Gunnarson who no one has mentioned but me is a very valuable piece to dangle, given Leafs depth on D coming up thru the minors and CJHL could be a player Gillis covets.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote