Thread: Speculation: The Luongo Thread
View Single Post
Old
10-20-2012, 12:06 PM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'm going to say at least one of the following pieces should be included for us to look at it:
Kessel, Rielly,(Not a snowball's chance in heck)
Lupul, Gardiner, JVR,( Preferred centrepieces)
1st, Kulemin, Kadri.(Would require any 2 of these if none of the above tier)

With Colborne, Ashton, 2nd round picks, Frattin, etc. being throw ins.

Just my perspective on what it would take to convince us we'd be better off trading him.
If he comes to Toronto it will not include anything in the above outside of MAYBE a first round pick. Brian Burke does NOT overpay for any player and this includes Luongo. The Kessel deal was fair value until the Leafs sucked and Boston made off with two top 10 picks. You bet he didn't like losing that trade and won't let it happen again. If he is traded to Toronto it will likely be for a pick, a prospect and a salary dump (think Komisarek, Connolly, Lombardi). If you think Burke will overpay for Luongo you're out of touch with how he makes trades. When the Leafs needed a #1 defenseman he waited until Calgary caved and gave up 4 scrubs for Phaneuf and Aulie. He then picked up a top 6 LW and a top prospect defenseman for Francois Beauchemin. These are positions we desperately needed upgraded (albeit, not as desperately as we needed a goaltender) and he went out and got it cheap. Burke will use Luongo's contract as an advantage in negotiations as much as possible.

The deal may include more than I think, but far less than a top prospect + first round pick + 'throw ins'. It just won't happen.

Last edited by smitty10: 10-20-2012 at 12:11 PM.
smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote