View Single Post
Old
10-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
once again, many of us dont particularly care who is right vs. wrong.

who cares about the players? why do we care who is right or wrong? save your pity party for something that actually matters-- there's more than enough sad stories in the media pertaining to people who are actually enduring real suffering due to the economic climate. the "put yourself in the players shoes" argument is worthless. millions of people in america and canada have had to take significant pay cuts in order to stay employed, with much less disposable income. nhl players and owners will get no pity from me.

i'm more concerned about what benefits the penguins.

WRT to pitying athletes I agree 112%. That part of this is nonsense. All this stuff about "oh their career only lasts 6 or 7 years, then what?!" In those 6 or 7 years most of those players will make far more income than probably 85-90% of the population will make in the course of 30 or 40 years, including savings. Hell you could play in the NHL for 3 or 4 years, make the league average, and if you're smart about spending and investing, you could have a safety net for the rest of your life.

The only "fairness" part of it comes from the obvious: there are (including part-timers) probably about 1000 NHL players who have to split 50% of a pie. Some of that pie has been removed ahead of time from the definition of "pie" so that the players get 0% of it (ostensibly to cover certain costs of doing business). Then there are 30 owners who split the other 50%. And while they have costs, the profit the owners make is still way beyond what even the best paid players make every season.

But in either case no one should feel sympathy for any of them. It's not about sympathy; it's about basic math and a balanced agreement give the ratios and splits so that we the fans (the reason the league exists) can watch hockey.