View Single Post
Old
10-20-2012, 02:31 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
One could easily make an argument that the Griffins roster is actually worse this season. And this just further proves why the goaltending situation stinks so much. On top of playing the role as underdogs most nights you also have a disadvantage in net. Yeah they want to show faith in what they've got, I get that, but unless miracles start to happen Pearce/McCollum will not get it done. You want to have goalies that show NHL promise, not guys trying to hang on in the minors.

MacDonald should've been waived and ready to start the season. Now he'll just sit, and sit and sit. And he'll still have no chance of playing in the NHL anyway once the season starts. Or they could've signed a goalie from Europe for Pete's sake, like many other teams do to strengthen their goalie situation just in case. Dallas who has two very capable guys in Bachman and Campbell behind Lehtonen signed Nihlstorp, a top SEL goalie. Boston with Thomas, Rask and Khudobin signed SEL champion Svedberg. It's like the Wings are afraid to hurt someone's feelings. I really hope the Wings try to sign Eriksson next summer to get some much needed depth in goal beyond the NHL.
My Goodness, Joe89 recommends a Swede?

We have Howard/Gustavsson
I fear our depth problem isn't at the AHL level, it's at the NHL level.

If Howie goes down, is Gustavsson capable of backstopping us anywhere?

Most teams would be in trouble if their #1 and #2 goalie goes down. We've still got Joey Mac signed. And then we have McCollum/Mrazek/Pierce.

I don't see how adding another goalie to the mix helps our depth, really. It just clogs the prospect artery at one more position.