View Single Post
Old
10-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy and Abed View Post
Frattin would look good on the Canucks' third or fourth lines, but beyond that, booth/higgins are better fits on the 2nd line than Macarthur and Franson would be our 6th or 7th dman.

So we are getting nothing of high value back other than a first, which could very well end up being a 2nd and therefore losing most of its value.

Does not make one bit of sense for the Canucks to trade a number 1 goaltender for a package with little to no value to them.
Exactly how I feel. It seems to me that having an elite goalie, even as just a back up, is an extremely valuable thing - ESPECIALLY FOR A TEAM COMPETING FOR A CUP IMMEDIATELY.

Even just one more year of this is not a bad thing imo - in fact it is just the opposite - it is incredible insurance. If one goalie is in a slump, boom. Elite backup comes in. If one goes down with injury - no sweat.

Teams frequently trade big pieces for a player that they only get for one year - Boston gave up a 1st + just for part of a year of Kaberle. So why wouldn't a team like Vancouver give up big pieces for a single year of an elite goalie - a much more important piece than a guy like Kalberle- ? And of course Vancouver doesn't have to give up big pieces for Luongo because they already have him. So why not just hold on to him?

My point is that Luongo is very valuable to Vancouver, so it seems to me that it makes no sense to trade him unless it's improving the team some other way.