View Single Post
Old
10-21-2012, 05:32 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
I've never fully grasped Alexander's position. He's tried three times to get an NHL team; essentially has exclusive rights to an NHL team in Houston. Now that his financial situation is not as good as before, shouldn't he be MORE open to someone operating an NHL team in his arena? He should seek minority ownership in a Houston NHL franchise, solely because the Toyota Center will get more Arena Revenue from NHL hockey than AHL hockey.
Les Alexander is totally out of the picture as far as being an owner. I don't know if you're aware of the magnitude of the collapse of his net worth. Hulsizer can come up with more cash, fercryinoutloud . September 21, 2006, Forbes had Alexander pegged at $1.2 billion. Just over 5 years later, October 22, 2011, Les Alexander was worth $80 million, a drop of over 90%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
Not really. While I am nervous about Barclays (I don't see it as a long term viable option and am worried we'd just be trading SMG for Ratner), Barclays craps on NVMC in modern amenities that bring in revenues.

With a new arena at the NVMC site that was built by the taxpayers or Wang, and the Islanders got all the revenues, the team would be a top 10 revenue team.

In Barclay's, with a decent lease, the Islanders wouldn't be a Top 10 revenue team, but we could be middle of the pack, or at worst, the "last of the middle class."
If Ratner buys the Islanders, they're viable at Barclays. Forget a new arena at the NVMC site. Hempstead, NY seems to be a bizarro anti-Glendale, totally obstructionist and unhelpful.