View Single Post
Old
10-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
The only guys that are not locks for the NHL roster this year that should be in Winnipeg when the lockout ends are the tweeners we need to make decisions on for call ups, 13th F 7th D guys. Postma, Redmond, Cormier, Macho. Guys like that.

EDIT: As for your last point? I think there is zero chance 55 will make the Jets this year. I think the org. has already decided it would be a great disservice to his development to let him crack the roster this year (or even next). The plan, as I see it, is Barrie this year, WJC's, good playoff run hopefully, and Ice Caps. Next year, a full year to play with men and get stronger in St. John's. They don't want to burn 2 years of an ELC on a underdeveloped player. The Mark Scheifele that cracks the NHL in '14 will be much more ready for the NHL.
I doubt Redmond is up. I am not nearly as high on him as some people here are, I think he is being vastly overrated on these boards at this point.

I don't see one week away for an NHL TC as "getting him out of the groove". If that's the case, the 2-3 week WJC experience will be a disaster no?

Organization has already decided? Then WHY would they add him on the list of players they can recall for a mid-season camp? Many a solid prospects did NOT make that list around the league, in fact only ~15 teams submitted any names at all. Why would the Jets even bother submitting his name if he had no chance of making the team.

He MADE the team last year. He was the leading scorer in the entire NHL in the pre-season. He forced his way on. I am not sure why everyone wants to handle him with the biggest baby gloves ever. Exactly what you want is a player to force his way onto the roster. THAT's what your looking for, not a certain time limit you must spend in juniors/AHL. I don't see Scheifele in the AHL next year, at least I hope not. I want to see him force the Jets hand, like he did last year, only maintain that into the season. Star prospects generally don't spend time in the AHL. Who was the last top 6 forward to come from DET's much lauded AHL system? Only top 6er currently on their team that went through AHL is Filppula. Top prospects, the elite, force their way onto the roster (Landeskog, Skinner, O'Reilly, Eberle, Duchene, etc). They force the teams to not treat them with kiddie gloves. I fully expect Scheifele to do that.

Also, next year they burn a year of the ELC no matter what. So there is no way they can "burn" two years of the ELC. Next year would actually be "burning" a year of the ELC by wasting it in the AHL, too look at it another way.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote