View Single Post
Old
10-21-2012, 02:06 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I doubt Redmond is up. I am not nearly as high on him as some people here are, I think he is being vastly overrated on these boards at this point.

I don't see one week away for an NHL TC as "getting him out of the groove". If that's the case, the 2-3 week WJC experience will be a disaster no?

Organization has already decided? Then WHY would they add him on the list of players they can recall for a mid-season camp? Many a solid prospects did NOT make that list around the league, in fact only ~15 teams submitted any names at all. Why would the Jets even bother submitting his name if he had no chance of making the team.

He MADE the team last year. He was the leading scorer in the entire NHL in the pre-season. He forced his way on. I am not sure why everyone wants to handle him with the biggest baby gloves ever. Exactly what you want is a player to force his way onto the roster. THAT's what your looking for, not a certain time limit you must spend in juniors/AHL. I don't see Scheifele in the AHL next year, at least I hope not. I want to see him force the Jets hand, like he did last year, only maintain that into the season. Star prospects generally don't spend time in the AHL. Who was the last top 6 forward to come from DET's much lauded AHL system? Only top 6er currently on their team that went through AHL is Filppula. Top prospects, the elite, force their way onto the roster (Landeskog, Skinner, O'Reilly, Eberle, Duchene, etc). They force the teams to not treat them with kiddie gloves. I fully expect Scheifele to do that.

Also, next year they burn a year of the ELC no matter what. So there is no way they can "burn" two years of the ELC. Next year would actually be "burning" a year of the ELC by wasting it in the AHL, too look at it another way.
Redmond won't be up. I think the guy can be a #4 or 5 defenseman in the NHL, top end #3, but he spent 4 years at college. So two years in the AHL won't be bad for the guy. Next year I think is when he starts to push for a spot. Only problem is ALLLLL the RH defenseman we have.

Scheifele will almost certainly NOT play in the AHL next year. He might be a tad slow on the development path, but not to the point that he can't crack our roster. He did enough last year in training camp and pre-season to get his shot. I don't think him leading the league in pre-season scoring really carries any weight. I think it was more the fact that he did all of the right things and showed he can play against guys that might already be in the NHL, AHL, and guys his own age.

As for him playing center. He will in due time, but he has to be able to win faceoffs. Otherwise, it'll be useless for us this year or next year. He'll have to line up at wing more often. Schiefele was awful when he took them last year. Little was 49.6%. Slater was 54.4%. One of Antro or Burmi will have to improve because one will likely be a center. This is an area as a team we are weak at and NEED to improve.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote