View Single Post
Old
10-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
I'm not critcizing Giroux or Eberle, actually. They're both OK/good skaters - not blazing fast, not poor - but good. It is what it is. Its not an issue for them as they'll most likely make the team anyway (Giroux definitely will, Eberle is a probable at this point). Perry is a poor skater; watch him next time the Ducks play. That's always been a criticism of him. He's great in the offensive zone, but lacks the footspeed to get back quickly on the backcheck. If he makes the team, which is obviously dependent on how he performs whenever the NHL gets around to playing again, he'll need to get some cover from his linemates from a defensive perspective.

Maybe I'm being a bit too hard on Benn by calling him a "long-shot", but I personally wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make the team. He wasn't all that great at the WHCs, which was a great opportunity for him to differentiate himself, but he'll be shortlisted and scouted by Hockey Canada so he's certainly a possibility at LW, but probably not at center. Right now, I have Tavares, E. Staal, M. Richards, and probably Hall ahead of him right now at LW. Nash can play either wing, and I have him ahead of Benn right now as well. We need Hall's speed, which is why I have him on my roster.

My original response to that particular poster (don't think it was actually your post) was to the fact that the poster had lined-up those 6 players on two lines, whereas on the international ice we'll need to somehow work-in some real speed (as in Stamkos, Toews, Hall, Seguin, Crosby, E. Staal) on each line. I just don't think those two lines would work well, more from a defensive standpoint than anything, due to the defensive awareness and overall speed of those 6 players.
Canada has shown they really don't care about performance at the World Championships unleses you were horrible, they just care that players want to represent Canada, and Benn really wasn't bad. Benn can play all 3 forward positions so that's makes him extremely valuable (Played RW in his first season, LW and centre in his second and centre his third), he's able to play in all situations (Already shown he can play at high end offensive level, and has always shown the ability to play strong defensively).

If Hall doesn't get a top 6 role the only other job he'll get is 13th forward. Benn can play any role in the forward core and I think you're underrating his speed.

For bottom six type guys, there really aren't many better options than Benn.