View Single Post
Old
10-21-2012, 04:30 PM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Canada has shown they really don't care about performance at the World Championships unleses you were horrible, they just care that players want to represent Canada, and Benn really wasn't bad. Benn can play all 3 forward positions so that's makes him extremely valuable (Played RW in his first season, LW and centre in his second and centre his third), he's able to play in all situations (Already shown he can play at high end offensive level, and has always shown the ability to play strong defensively).

If Hall doesn't get a top 6 role the only other job he'll get is 13th forward. Benn can play any role in the forward core and I think you're underrating his speed.

For bottom six type guys, there really aren't many better options than Benn.
I definitely see Benn as a sizable longshot. There are quite a few young guys that are of similar quality, but fairly or not many of them have bigger profiles than Benn.

As far as the World Championships go, I do think it has some impact on Olympic selection. I'm not sure that guys like Smyth or Doan get on Olympic teams without their WC participation. There are other young guys trying to make Team Canada who have been more impressive at the World Championships like Eberle, Skinner and Kane among bubble players.

Benn's skating is fine, but he definitely isn't elite in that regard. I don't think that his ability to play different forward positions will benefit him much either. Canada is loaded with players who can work at centre or wing, and there isn't a single position that is weak depth wise. I do agree that Benn is helped by being a viable bottom 6 candidate, but on Canada I doubt there are even a lot of open spots at that level.