View Single Post
Old
10-21-2012, 05:37 PM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Speaking of 10" Android tablets, I was just reading that Best Buy is coming out with one of their own, under their Insignia brand, on November 11. The interesting thing is that it's rumored to have a price of $239-259. That puts it around the same price as the higher-capacity Nexus 7, yet you get 10" size for that money. Of course, you might be able to find last year's 10" models from name brands like Samsung for $250-299 and the 10" Nexus tablet might not be much more, either, so it's not clear if this is really all that tempting of a device for those in the know, but it's interesting and probably good to see a major retailer adding competition to the budget space, especially at 10".

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/10/...ntcmp=trending

I wouldn't count on a price reduction for the Nexus 7. As the "Staples" link above suggests, the official prices of the Nexus 7 are expected to be $199 for 16GB and $249 for 32GB. Those prices take effect on October 29th, the day of the Google event that's also announcing the 10" model. The 10" model will probably be available in mid/late-November (per Google's way), so it'd be strange to change your pricing again just 2-3 weeks after your last change.

What you may be able to do is buy the phased-out 8GB model for cheap or a used Nexus 7 from someone who upgraded to the 10" model, though. I'm just saying that the official price is likely not to change again any time soon.

As for the 10" model pricing, my personal guess is that it could be as low as $299 for 16GB and $349 for 32GB. That would make the 10" $100 more than the 7", which seems reasonable. An alternate possibility could be $329 for 16GB and $379 for 32GB, but with $25 Google Play credit, like the Nexus 7 debuted with. Any more expensive than that, though, and people are more likely to turn to alternatives (like the iPad, iPad Mini, Best Buy's tablet or even just the cheaper Nexus 7).
I'd assume they would have to sell their 8Gb models. If not, I think I'd buy the 16Gb regardless. Either way, we will see what will be done in a couple of weeks.