View Single Post
Old
10-21-2012, 06:25 PM
leeaf83

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
summit series goaltending

So something I've always wondered, was the thought process for the goaltending decision ever explained?

I get that pre series Dryden was considered a step and a half ahead of Esposito and Tony-O only projected to start 2 or 3 of the 11 scheduled games (including sweden and chechoslovakia)
Dryden craps the bed in game 1 so Espo goes in for game 2
Espo plays well in game 2 and gets the next start
Espo plays so-so in game 3 so they give Dryden another shot for the next game
Dryden plays brutal again in game 4
Tony plays the first sweden game and plays well but since sweden is considered the exhibition part of the tourney, Eddie Johnson plays the second game and ties
Espo plays game 5, wasn't brutal but gave up 4 late goals to lose opening the door for Dryden
Dryden plays game 6 and plays outstanding. Since he was deemed the better of the 2 and had a great game, why did they go back to Espo for game 7?
Espo does play game 7 and plays another great game yet they went back to Dryden again for game 8?

not overly noteworthy but Dryden played the Czech game after the series. Somewhat puzzling because they used players who played less in the series, wonder why they didnt start Johnson? I'm not positive about this but Johnson seemed to be the backup for most of the games. I know Espo backed up Dryden for games 1 and 8 and Johnson backed up espo for games 2, 3, and 5. not sure who was on the bench in sweden or the last 3 Russia games or czech.

My other question is why weren't the teams pulling the goalies? game 4 was a 2 goal game with all 4 russia games decided by 1, nobody seemed to go with the extra attackers?

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote