View Single Post
Old
10-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Germz
4th liners ftw

vCash: 500
I think Redden deserves more consideration.

The team became a contender when he became its #1 defenseman, and the team fell apart when his play went off a cliff. His 11-season tenure with the club coincides exactly with our 11 consecutive playoff appearances.

He led the team in average ice-time 6 out of 7 consecutive seasons (Chara in 2005-06), and in defensive scoring for 7 out of 8 consecutive seasons (Corvo in 2006-07, although Redden had only 1 less point in 12 fewer games). And he played some of his best hockey with mediocre partners like York and Rachunek. He also led the team in ice-time and defensive scoring during both of our best playoff runs, despite the noticeable decline in his overall game in 2007.

The Martin-coached Senators were defense-first clubs and Jacques made it very clear that Wade was his #1 guy, even as Chara began to garner Norris consideration. Redden at his best was Martin’s kind of player: a calm, dispassionate, unflashy, positionally sound defender who was willing to take the hit and carry on unaffected.

He was named alternate captain when he was 22 years old, and kept the 'A' on his jersey for 8 seasons.

If you are talking short-term impact, I think Chara, Karlsson or even Duchesne are the strongest candidates. EDIT: Heatley too.

But for long-term, I think Redden trumps Hossa, Yashin and even Spezza.

I guess it depends on how you define "impactful', which to be honest I did not even know was a word.

Last edited by Germz: 10-21-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Germz is offline   Reply With Quote