View Single Post
Old
10-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I definitely see Benn as a sizable longshot. There are quite a few young guys that are of similar quality, but fairly or not many of them have bigger profiles than Benn.

As far as the World Championships go, I do think it has some impact on Olympic selection. I'm not sure that guys like Smyth or Doan get on Olympic teams without their WC participation. There are other young guys trying to make Team Canada who have been more impressive at the World Championships like Eberle, Skinner and Kane among bubble players.

Benn's skating is fine, but he definitely isn't elite in that regard. I don't think that his ability to play different forward positions will benefit him much either. Canada is loaded with players who can work at centre or wing, and there isn't a single position that is weak depth wise. I do agree that Benn is helped by being a viable bottom 6 candidate, but on Canada I doubt there are even a lot of open spots at that level.
I don't see why there wouldn't be an open spot.

Let's consider that these players won't be back (Some definitely have no chance, some have a bit of a chance):

Getzlaf, Marleau, Heatley, Morrow, Iginla, Thornton. Six guys we'll assume won't make the team. How many players that weren't on the 2010 team are locks for the 2014 team? Stamkos, Tavares and Giroux, with Eberle being a likely player but I wouldn't say a lock. All those guys are going to take top six sptos, and 2 of the guys I took out (Getzlaf and Morrow) were bottom six guys, and Canada always takes double-threat guys for the bottom six. Who is better than Benn for one of those roles? I can't think of anyone.

Rick Nash - Sidney Crosby - Jordan Eberle
Steven Stamkos - John Tavares - Claude Giroux
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Pery
Mike Richards - Eric Staal - Patrice Bergeron
Logan Couture/Evander Kane/Tyler Seguin/Jeff Skinner

I don't see any mobility problems in that bottom six.