View Single Post
Old
10-22-2012, 10:08 AM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I don't see why there wouldn't be an open spot.

Let's consider that these players won't be back (Some definitely have no chance, some have a bit of a chance):

Getzlaf, Marleau, Heatley, Morrow, Iginla, Thornton. Six guys we'll assume won't make the team. How many players that weren't on the 2010 team are locks for the 2014 team? Stamkos, Tavares and Giroux, with Eberle being a likely player but I wouldn't say a lock. All those guys are going to take top six sptos, and 2 of the guys I took out (Getzlaf and Morrow) were bottom six guys, and Canada always takes double-threat guys for the bottom six. Who is better than Benn for one of those roles? I can't think of anyone.

Rick Nash - Sidney Crosby - Jordan Eberle
Steven Stamkos - John Tavares - Claude Giroux
Jamie Benn - Jonathan Toews - Corey Pery
Mike Richards - Eric Staal - Patrice Bergeron
Logan Couture/Evander Kane/Tyler Seguin/Jeff Skinner

I don't see any mobility problems in that bottom six.
I agree with most of what you say, particularly about the forwards who won't be returning. My projected group of forwards is almost identical to that posted by 86Habs, with the only difference being line combinations. I see Toews, Richards and Nash coming together again. I am also guessing that E. Staal and Bergeron are in the bottom 6. I have Seguin filling out that last bottom six spot instead of Benn. Seguin's speed would be a great asset, he's proven in the last year that he's a competent player defensively and he can clearly work with Bergeron. I have Eberle or Perry as 13th forward, and I don't think Benn beats either out.