View Single Post
Old
10-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Professor John Frink

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Everybody seems to be fine with replacing Lydman with some rookie. Count me in the minority. Toni's trade value is minimal today. Going into the season his value is much higher to us than whatever we could get for him.

Every good playoff team needs a solid, steady, veteran D man on the blueline. If we get to the trade deadline and some rookie has really outplayed Toni to that point then go ahead and trade him. You will likely get as much for him at the deadline as you will at the start of the season (assuming there is a start). Besides, do you really want a raw rookie to add with Fowler and Sbisa (who are still learning the game) to make up half of our D? Especially not knowing how Beauch will come back and how long it will be before Souray get hurt again?

I see Toni as cheap insurance who can be sold at any time for the same price. Let's not get antsy just because everyone wants to see Vatanen in Anaheim so soon.
This.

What is the saying? You can never have too many solid defensemen. Why trade a solid NHL vet with one year left on his contract just to let an unproven kid play?

Isn't the point to win games? Can the people who want Lydman traded honestly tell me that you feel more confident with Vatanen or Lindholm in the lineup than you do with Lydman penciled in?