View Single Post
Old
10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Frank the Tank
Golden Goal

vCash: 500
In a weekly pick-up game I am always lined up as a winger against a defender who uses his stick like an axe. I am a stronger player than him and, as a result, I win the majority of our one-on-one encounters both along the boards and in open ice. What bothers me is that every time I win one of these battles he indiscriminately hacks at the puck as I pull away in a last ditch effort to disrupt my progress. Maybe 10% he hits my stick or the puck and he is effective, whereas the large majority of these hard slashes fall on my leg, hip, arm. This week was particularly bad as I had 6 large bruises and/or bleeding cuts after our last game (despite wearing equipment).

After biting my lip for a few weeks and saying nothing, I showed my opponent the result of his stick work this past week and asked politely that he be more considerate with his stick. In particular, I pointed out that I have no problem battling with him, and that my concern lies in his wild slashes as I am pulling away because he has little control over his stick in that situation. He responded that he was taught to battle until the last moment and he can't change the way he plays because then he will be ineffective during the game. He said that he doesn't expect me to take it easy on him when we are battling. I was at a loss of how to respond.

Any one had a similar experience(s) and can offer advice on how to approach this situation in the future? Hacking him back is not the solution as I know he will just escalate his behavior.