View Single Post
Old
10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
The Pirates are kind of on an extreme example, though. I don't doubt that we'll see a team or two that are run that way; Charles Wang is my candidate.
It happens in every league. It only takes 1 team to make the league a laughing stock. The Clippers are a local team who has done it forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Good point. They could have some sort of "improving" metric in order to stay eligible for revenue sharing. They already do have something like that.
I dont think any team that lost money should make money from revenue sharing. Break even at the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Can someone explain something for me? I'm totally at a loss as to how players will actually make less money on their contracts once they go to 50-50. I understand that the cap will go down but if there's not a rollback in salaries why are players giving money back? It's not like every team has spent to the cap, most haven't. Wouldn't most team be under the new cap anyway? Maybe I'm just completely lost and aren't paying close enough attention so can someone please explain it to me?
I am not an expert but I think this is how it works.

Back in 2004 they took a 24% rollback, which means (lets just round to 25% for math ) if a player had a 10 million per year contract, it was rolled back to 7.5. This hurt alot of the top end players. BUT, the average salary went from like 800k to over 2 million over the term of this CBA, so the players actually won in the end.

In the new CBA offer all has to do with escrow (here is where I am unclear) and the money gets taken out over the term of the contract. The money has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is the players. They are being greedy by not taking 50-50. Every major sport has that arrangement. It is fair and makes it a win-win when the league grows instead of this CBA where only the players benefited.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote