View Single Post
Old
10-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
My thought process on Carter was a few things . One, I wanted someone who has experience playing wing. Now, of our options on wing, I feel like we have a number of guys who fit into a veteran mould - Iginla, Whitney, Doan. Personally, by 2014 I don't see any of these guys playing at a high enough level, nor do I think Doan's style will suit the big ice surface. I considered Patrick Sharp too but chose Carter for the reason below.

I figured, on a line with Benn and Giroux, you don't really need a third guy out there who's a real driving force. With the other two guys controlling the play I wanted a guy who complemented them and I think Carter does that - he needs to get into open space, of which there will be plenty on the big ice surface, and break games open with his shot the way he did in the SCF this year. He also provides the size, speed, and defensive play that makes a line more difficult to contain when he's not the main threat out there. He also has familiarity with Giroux and Richards and I think that type of thing is always good for team chemistry.

IMO guys like Skinner, Hall, Kane, Seguin all need more experience - I expect some of these guys to make the cut in 2018.

For extras, I would probably take a guy like Bergeron again since he's such a versatile player, and can be used for key faceoffs. On D, I'm not sure. I think our right side is just fine with Doughty/Petro/Weber so I think we should shore up the left side - eliminating Seabrook and Girardi. Who's our next best lefty?