View Single Post
Old
10-22-2012, 03:19 PM
ganave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
Good call on the Paw Knee pads, they are amazing. Sara is truly a god send to the goalie community. I'd upgrade on the XR4 blocker though, that thing won't last long.

The RBK 7K is a good mask but the buckles in the back will start to pop right off during games when you receive impact on the head, just a heads up for ya.

Also, in regards to the mask, I don't mean to be rude but, Dear OP

DO NOT BUY THE NME 5!!!!

With goalie masks, the number 1 factor is fit, so find the helmet that fits you best, if nothing fits you at the store (like me, with a giant head) you might have to go the custom route. The number 2 factor is the material of the mask. Do NOT buy anything that is only made out of plastic. You want a mask with at least some sort of Fiberglass or Kevlar/Aramid in it. The lowest end Bauer mask you should be wearing is an NME7. If you buy a NME 5 you'd be looking at concussions for sure unless you are playing with 11 year olds.
Thanks Hank, didn't realize the NME5 was junk.

I did have to fiddle with the 7K to keep it from popping loose -- I basically found that if I slide the mask up a buckle would pop off later on. Solution is to not slide the mask up. Next mask I'll spend two to three times. The 7K is adequate enough for intro/D, but I wouldn't trust it past that.

Yeah the XR4 is getting replaced, it came in a package deal of used gear. It works alright, but it is light on the padding. I'm saving up for one of Sara's.

I love learning the position, but there is a ton of work involved. Starting at 17 should make it much easier than starting at 29 though! Skating is really key though. You can't get too much icetime.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote